A couple of months ago, I announced that Siya and I would be travelling to Finland for a couples adventure. Tomorrow, we will be boarding our flight from Toronto to Helsinki to begin our very active 10-day adventure. Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel if you have not already as well as join the adventures on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Since Siya and I are getting married in 3 weeks, this is kind of like a pre-honeymoon that is guaranteed to leave us looking mighty fine for our big day. Why? Well, here are some highlights of what we will be up to:
- Food Tour of Helsinki: Okay, not the best thing for a wedding day bod, but it’s all about moderation! There are many food outlets and delicatessens that have been established recently in the city. We will be letting our taste buds explore organic goods, local food, wild food and urban slow food using the finest ingredients.
- Road Trip: We will be driving from Rovaniemi to Salla and then Salla to Kemijärvi. Gotta love road trips!
- Tuntsa Wilderness Area: This place is said to be wonderful for hiking. In fact, some say that this is one of Europe’s most beautiful outdoor recreation destinations.
- Smoke Sauna in Otalampi: The sauna is a substantial part of Finnish culture. For Finnish people, the sauna is a place to relax with friends and family, and a place for physical and mental relaxation as well. Finns think of saunas not as a luxury, but as a necessity. Sounds like they are defiantly doing something right! I could get used to this.
- Canoeing and Hiking in Oulanka National Park (Oulanka Canyon): This park is located in Northern Ostrobothnia and Lapland regions of Finland and coves 270 square kilometres. There are several types of activities to get involved with while in the park. Siya and I will be heading out on some of the hiking trails as well as canoeing down the Oulankajoki River.
- Mountain Biking in Sallatunturi: There are marked paths that establish different levels of difficulty. You better believe Siya and I are going for the most challenging one!
- Hiking in Pyhä-Luosto National Park: Located in Lapland, this is Finland’s oldest national park. It is also said to be a hiker’s paradise. The most important features are the geological specialities, old forests and wetlands. You can even hike to Amethist Mine and dig your own personal stone.
- Kemijoki Experience: This is going to be a challenging yet, epic experience! We will be paddling in a church boat down the Kemi river for slightly over 100 km between Savukoski – Pelkosenniemi – Kemijärvi. Of course, there will be stops along the way and fun activities planned. We will also really get to experience midnight sun on this trip. What is midnight sun? It is a natural phenomenon that occurs in the summer months in Finland when the sun never set!
Plus much more!
Some of our accommodations for this trip include:
Now, here comes the surprise announcement…
Siya and I will be filming DAILY VLOGS on top of the other videos we plan on shooting. We will be uploading the daily vlogs…daily, while we are in Finland. The other videos will be released during the regular uploading schedule – Tuesdays and Thursdays.
[box] *Please keep in mind that there may be times when we have limited access to internet. We are going to do everything we can to get the daily videos up each day. In the worse case scenario, the next video will be uploaded as soon as we come in contact with Wifi again.[/box]
To learn more about Finland visit the Official Tourism Finland website for more info.
I look forward to experiencing Finland with you!