How to Make YouTube Videos

A common question I am asked is how I make YouTube videos. There is a lot I can cover when it comes to this topic. How long does it take me to shoot a video? What equipment do I use? What program do I use to edit? How do I film in public areas without feeling nervous?

In this video, I discuss the equipment I use both on location and in studio.

I’ve included photos and links to all of my equipment below as well:

On Location

Sony NEX 5R and 5N (the 5R is a newer addition which I would highly recommend over the 5N)

Sony NEX

Sony NEX External Mic

Sony NEX External Mic

Sony BC-VW1 Quick Charger for W Series Batteries

Sony Battery Charger

Sony Full  HD Camcorder and Projector

Sony Full  HD Camcorder and Projector

GoPro Hero 2 (although I would recommend the Hero 3+ Black Edition) *waterproof camera*

Go Pro

Super Secret Spy Lens

Spy Lens

Tripod

Gorilla Pod

SevenOak SK-SW03 Steadycam Pro Small Size

Glidecam

Sony Noise Cancelling Headphone

Sony Noise Cancelling Headphone

Final Cut Pro X – You can also get the 30 day trial version to test it out before you buy it.

final cut pro X

AudioJungle

audio jungle

In Studio

I use the same equipment in studio as I do on location except I also always use 2 850 watt studio lights as well as a blue and green screen occasionally to make videos like “Dancing for an Indian King” and “Peeing on a Public Bus in India.”

Portable Green Screen Studio 850 watt EZ Softbox kit with Reversible Flex

Green Screen

I have been using all of the above equipment for over a year now so I have been able to gather a pretty good opinion on everything I mention. If you have any specific questions about the equipment I use, please don’t hesitate to ask by leaving a comment below. I would highly recommend every piece of equipment listed above without hesitation, especially the Sony NEX.

Do you make YouTube videos? What camera do you shoot with?

***

Disclaimer: I am currently a member of the Sony Club influencer program, an exclusive group of bloggers from several different niches chosen to test and review the latest and greatest gear from Sony Electronics. AS ALWAYS, ALL OPINIONS ARE EXPRESSED AS MY OWN. I have also been using the Sony NEX long before I became an ambassador.

1. Heidi
    April 5, 2017 / 11:23 am

What is the external light you use with your camera?

• April 6, 2017 / 9:51 pm

This is an older post so we have since updated all of our gear. I’m putting together a new gear guide which will include all of the gear we currently use. I’ll be posting that over the next few weeks. But to answer your question, we use the Manfrotto Camera Light http://amzn.to/2o3jRjH

2. January 27, 2017 / 3:10 pm

Hi! Thanks for making this video. I’m curious about what drone you use when you get those awesome aerial shots? The price range for drones with cameras just seem to be so massive its tough to know where to start!

3. Mia
    January 15, 2017 / 12:42 am

What is the external light you use with your camera?

4. January 16, 2016 / 8:05 am

Thanks for the inspiration. I've travelled a bunch but never documented it and shared in the vlog format. Now i'm psyched to get it going….first stop fiji…

• January 18, 2016 / 12:33 pm

Awesome! Fiji is the best. So much adventure awaits you. Enjoy and look forward to see your videos.

5. December 31, 2015 / 5:07 am

Hi Kristen This video was very helpful for me Thanks a Loads
    zahid recently posted..Brass Ppr FittingsMy Profile

6. Robin
    June 21, 2015 / 11:23 pm

Thanks for this very comprehensive tutorial.. Thinking about doing videos of brownstone renovation. (Hope that stuff is dust proof..!)

7. May 25, 2015 / 5:34 pm

hi i was just wondering do you use another lens for the nex 5r or is it just the kit one that comes with it? Thanks for the help in advance looking to start my own YouTube Channel at some point this year and this has been very informative!
    Ciaran Barr recently posted..Beautiful Beach Camping Spots That You Should VisitMy Profile

8. May 14, 2015 / 5:47 pm

hi there i appreciate your help i want to start a channel in you tube for politics thanks

9. February 21, 2015 / 8:58 am

Thanks for your help. I really need to take a step up with my videos and get a more professional finish. I really appreciate your advice on equipment 🙂

• March 6, 2015 / 10:29 am

You’re very welcome! Have you started a YouTube channel?

10. August 30, 2014 / 2:10 am

Hi there it’s me, I am also visiting this website on a
    regular basis, this website is really good and the visitors are
    truly sharing fastidious thoughts.
    blows raspberry recently posted..blows raspberryMy Profile

11. July 16, 2014 / 8:48 am

Wow great. Easy straight forward and fun to look at. Shes also beautiful Sarah Phillips

12. April 23, 2014 / 2:06 pm

This video just blew my mind. It is, hands down, the most comprehensive explanation of what it takes to shoot semi-professional youtube videos. Thank you so much for sharing, Kristen! You are my hero!

• April 23, 2014 / 8:10 pm

Thank you so much Brie! I’m so glad this was helpful to you. Be sure to share some of your videos with me once you get going. If you have any other questions, never hesitate to ask 🙂
      Kristen Sarah recently posted..How to Be a Successful Blogger | The SocialMy Profile

• April 22, 2014 / 5:45 pm

That kit is excellent! Mike Corey uses the same kit as well. I’ve had it for a few years now and haven’t had to buy new bulbs either. I use my lights a few times each week for several hours.