What To Pack On Your Trip

I have been asking a lot of travellers what they pack when they do long term travel. I received the same answer from everyone – pack as little as possible. It’s true that I’ve never been on a trip where I’ve thought that I brought too little. Instead, I usually end up packing more than I need and lets face it, no one wants to carry around heavy luggage when it’s unnecessary. This time around I wanted to try and pack as little as possible. I contemplated bringing only a carry-on bag with me, but I’ve decided to bring everything I “think” I need and get rid of the “not so necessary” things along the way. This way I can live and learn and in turn, tell all of you what is the most important stuff to bring on a year-long adventure.

Here is my packing list:

Clothing

Mountain Equipment Co-op Waterproof Jacket (I got mine on sale for $60.00!)

1 Sweater

2 long sleeve tops

3 tank tops (I love lululemon)

– 2 t-shirts

– 1 pair of official traveling jeans

1 pair of track pants

1 pair of tights

– 1 pair of shorts

– 1 pair of pj pants

8 pairs of underwear

– 2 bras

– 1 scarf

– 2 pairs of sandals/flip flops and/or Vibrams

– 1 pair of running shoes

– 1 bathing suit

-1 dry lite towel (North 49)

Electronics

Xperia Tablet/mouse/computer lock

iPod Touch or iPhone/charger

Headphones

Camera/charger

Toiletries

– Shampoo/Conditioner

– Deodorant (va va vanilla scent)

– Make-up (eye liner, mascara, foundation, lip gloss)

– Q-tips

– Sunscreen

– Nivea body cream

– Pads and Tampons

– Hand sanitizer/wipes

– Toothbrush and floss

– Hair elastics and headband

Other

Treated Mosquito Net

4 bug sprays/cream (98.11 % deet and 34.34% deet)

– Water pump

Petzl Tikka 2 Headlamp

First Aid Kit

– Medicine

– Door stop (for preventing intruders from coming into my room at night)

– Business cards for hopscotchtheglobe.com 🙂

– Novel

– International Adaptor

– Sewing kit

Bags

– 60 Litre NorthFace back-packing backpack

– Roots backpack

ALL PACKED UP AND READY TO GO!

What is one item you always pack with you for your travels?

1. Living4TodayBlog
    August 8, 2012 / 5:03 pm

did you use the rope/bungee cord?  For what? 🙂
    and the compass?
    Looks like a GREAT list!  Thanks…

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2012 / 5:19 pm

I’m actually making a video on “What to Pack for Your Travels” right now! haha. Be sure to catch it by subscribing to my channel: http://www.youtube.com/hopscotchtheglobe

I used the bungee to tie things to my bag like a sleeping bag or pillow. I used the rope as a clothing line to dry clothes all the time.

2. January 24, 2011 / 3:48 pm

I never would have thought to take a door stop, fantastic idea! And I NEVER leave without my travel adapter!

3. Noel3003
    October 10, 2010 / 10:14 pm

hi kristen good luck and safe travels, from a fellow traveller from travbuddy.

• October 10, 2012 / 9:16 am

I just wanted to say tkanhs so much for picking me. I appreciate it soooooo much. I can’t wait to do the photos. Instead of doing pictures by myself I don’t want just ME time I want family time. Thats what I’m about is my family. I think thats a great idea. I know you will have fun with my family were all out going we LOVE taking pictures, & My Ava you will have a ball with Teresa. Shes VERY photogenic it’s unbelievable. I haven’t seen one picture she hasn’t looked good in, she looks great in every picture. Thank you so much for letting me share these SPECIAL MOMENTS with you because 1 picture means 1,000 words so you will enjoy every min. I’m so excited I can’t wait. Thank you soo soo soo much I can’t say thank you enough. P.S Sorry for all the miss spelled words its my phone because it does spell check . Sorry. Thank You,Kristen

4. Katie Refling
    September 21, 2010 / 2:05 am

Ditch the pads and tampons and get a Diva Cup!! Lifesaver!

5. Antonio NZ
    September 16, 2010 / 8:42 am

Good selection. Looking foward to follow your adventures!!

6. Kaitlin Buck
    September 16, 2010 / 4:53 am

I cannot believe all of that fit in there!!!

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2010 / 12:36 am

Me neither! haha

7. Tina Kearney
    September 15, 2010 / 5:48 pm

Great stuff. I am looking forward to following your blogs. I am from Glasgow, Scotland. If you are passing through and need any help, let me know. 🙂

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2010 / 12:37 am

I’m hoping to be there some time next July/August.