What To Pack On Your Trip

I have been asking a lot of travellers what they pack when they do long term travel. I received the same answer from everyone – pack as little as possible. It’s true that I’ve never been on a trip where I’ve thought that I brought too little. Instead, I usually end up packing more than I need and lets face it, no one wants to carry around heavy luggage when it’s unnecessary. This time around I wanted to try and pack as little as possible. I contemplated bringing only a carry-on bag with me, but I’ve decided to bring everything I “think” I need and get rid of the “not so necessary” things along the way. This way I can live and learn and in turn, tell all of you what is the most important stuff to bring on a year-long adventure.

Here is my packing list:

Clothing

Mountain Equipment Co-op Waterproof Jacket (I got mine on sale for $60.00!)

1 Sweater

2 long sleeve tops

3 tank tops (I love lululemon)

– 2 t-shirts

– 1 pair of official traveling jeans

1 pair of track pants

1 pair of tights

– 1 pair of shorts

– 1 pair of pj pants

8 pairs of underwear

– 2 bras

– 1 scarf

– 2 pairs of sandals/flip flops and/or Vibrams

– 1 pair of running shoes

– 1 bathing suit

-1 dry lite towel (North 49)

Electronics

Xperia Tablet/mouse/computer lock

iPod Touch or iPhone/charger

Headphones

Camera/charger

Toiletries

– Shampoo/Conditioner

– Deodorant (va va vanilla scent)

– Make-up (eye liner, mascara, foundation, lip gloss)

– Q-tips

– Sunscreen

– Nivea body cream

– Pads and Tampons

– Hand sanitizer/wipes

– Toothbrush and floss

– Hair elastics and headband

Other

Treated Mosquito Net

4 bug sprays/cream (98.11 % deet and 34.34% deet)

– Water pump

Petzl Tikka 2 Headlamp

First Aid Kit

– Medicine

– Door stop (for preventing intruders from coming into my room at night)

– Business cards for hopscotchtheglobe.com 🙂

– Novel

– International Adaptor

– Sewing kit

Bags

– 60 Litre NorthFace back-packing backpack

– Roots backpack

ALL PACKED UP AND READY TO GO!

What is one item you always pack with you for your travels?

Kristen Sarah has one of the leading YouTube travel channels and is the head honcho of award-winning travel and lifestyle website, Hopscotch the Globe. She’s also a television host and actress. You can catch her most recently guest starring in Season 4 of Angry Planet and Season 1 of Fabulocity.

1. Living4TodayBlog
    August 8, 2012 / 5:03 pm

did you use the rope/bungee cord?  For what? 🙂
    and the compass?
    Looks like a GREAT list!  Thanks…

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2012 / 5:19 pm

I’m actually making a video on “What to Pack for Your Travels” right now! haha. Be sure to catch it by subscribing to my channel: http://www.youtube.com/hopscotchtheglobe

I used the bungee to tie things to my bag like a sleeping bag or pillow. I used the rope as a clothing line to dry clothes all the time.

2. January 24, 2011 / 3:48 pm

I never would have thought to take a door stop, fantastic idea! And I NEVER leave without my travel adapter!

3. Noel3003
    October 10, 2010 / 10:14 pm

hi kristen good luck and safe travels, from a fellow traveller from travbuddy.

• October 10, 2012 / 9:16 am

I just wanted to say tkanhs so much for picking me. I appreciate it soooooo much. I can’t wait to do the photos. Instead of doing pictures by myself I don’t want just ME time I want family time. Thats what I’m about is my family. I think thats a great idea. I know you will have fun with my family were all out going we LOVE taking pictures, & My Ava you will have a ball with Teresa. Shes VERY photogenic it’s unbelievable. I haven’t seen one picture she hasn’t looked good in, she looks great in every picture. Thank you so much for letting me share these SPECIAL MOMENTS with you because 1 picture means 1,000 words so you will enjoy every min. I’m so excited I can’t wait. Thank you soo soo soo much I can’t say thank you enough. P.S Sorry for all the miss spelled words its my phone because it does spell check . Sorry. Thank You,Kristen

4. Katie Refling
    September 21, 2010 / 2:05 am

Ditch the pads and tampons and get a Diva Cup!! Lifesaver!

5. Antonio NZ
    September 16, 2010 / 8:42 am

Good selection. Looking foward to follow your adventures!!

6. Kaitlin Buck
    September 16, 2010 / 4:53 am

I cannot believe all of that fit in there!!!

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2010 / 12:36 am

Me neither! haha

7. Tina Kearney
    September 15, 2010 / 5:48 pm

Great stuff. I am looking forward to following your blogs. I am from Glasgow, Scotland. If you are passing through and need any help, let me know. 🙂

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2010 / 12:37 am

I’m hoping to be there some time next July/August.