Dive deep into the rich culture and traditions of some of the world’s happiest and longest living citizens.
July 18-28, 2024
Travel styleComfortable, relaxed, sustainable with a focus on culture
Minimum age18 yrs+
Travelers should be comfortable walking for long periods of time. Daily activities will include walking tours and easy hikes (not too extreme or steep, but could be hot).
Our trips are based on three different comfort level ratings: Basic, Standard, Comfort.
Comfortable accommodations with character and private transportation. This trip does include some homestays in rustic and humble local homes. The rest of the stays will be in well-located hotels with all the comforts of home.
Alongside me (Kristen), you’ll discover the amazing geological wonders of Costa Rica all while diving deep into the rich culture of one of the world’s Blue Zones. Get ready to live and breathe the secrets to living a longer, healthier, and happier life!
On this epic journey, you’ll sleep on an active volcano and wake up on a beautiful hacienda where you’ll experience the organic farm-to-table lifestyle between nature hikes and hot spring soaks. Together, we’ll spent time in rural Nicoya where we’ll have the opportunity to participate in the day-to-day life of the locals while also serving this Blue Zone community. Our journey will end on an idyllic beach where you will sail into the sunset with your new travel tribe.
This group trip is packed with rich culture, healthy organic meals, wellness activities, nature, wildlife, community service and relaxation.
On this trip, you’ll give back in more than one way:
- You will have a chance to spend some time volunteering at La Casona De Santa Barbara. This is a family project that was born at the initiative of three brothers, natives of the small town of Santa Bárbara de Santa Cruz, Guanacaste. Their objective is preserving the traditions, Guanacaste culture, environment, revitalization of the local circular economy, as well as the involvement of local communities, mainly women heads of household, young people and older adults for being part of the Blue Zone of the Nicoya Peninsula.
- You will spend three nights with a local family in a homestay which helps to distribute wealth throughout the local Blue Zone community.
A portion of the trip fee will also support the following organizations:
Rincon de la Vieja
Arrive in Liberia
Welcome to Costa Rica! Meet your travel buddies, HTG hosts, and tour guides for happy hour before a welcome meeting and our first group dinner. The next morning, head out on a city tour of Liberia before making your way to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano.
Rincon de la Vieja Volcano & National Park
Find yourself surrounded by pristine tropical forests and an impressive collection of volcanic geological wonders. Enjoy a relaxing stay at your eco-hotel located on Costa Rica’s largest active volcano. Opt for a light stroll to nearby waterfalls or a more challenging hike around the National Park before relaxing in secluded mud baths and springs.
Rural Nicoya/Blue Zone Homestays
After coming down from the volcano, you’ll head into rural Nicoya for an in-depth look into the culture and lifestyle of some of the world’s longest-living citizens. You’ll enjoy a 3-night homestay with one of the local families and have the opportunity to learn more about the secrets to living a long, full and happy life. You’ll get a chance to participate in some of their local customs and traditions including pottery making, music and dance, farm tour and a cooking class focused on the diet of the Blue Zone.
Here, you’ll volunteer at La Casona De Santa Barbara. This is a family project that was born at the initiative of three brothers, natives of the small town of Santa Bárbara de Santa Cruz, Guanacaste. Their objective is preserving the traditions, Guanacaste culture, environment, revitalization of the local circular economy, as well as the involvement of local communities, mainly women heads of household, young people and older adults for being part of the Blue Zone of the Nicoya Peninsula. Depending on the needs of the community, we will do the following:
- Cleaning, maintenance and landscaping of Calle La Marimba
- Paint a Cultural Mural of La Marimba
- Tree planting
- Paint chicken coups
Welcome to the sunshine coast of Costa Rica, boasting the country’s most beautiful coastlines and exotic tropical dry forest. Here you’ll go on a Palm Wine Coyolera tour, explore the night markets, participate in some water activities, head out on an eco safari boat tour in Parque Marino Las Baulas, sail the seas during an afternoon on a private catamaran with your new friends.
- HTG Group Trip (Wellness, Culture and Eco-adventure)
- 8-16 Travellers + Kristen (Sage) and Local Tour Guides
- Shared Accommodation in Double or Triple Occupancy (Single Occupancy Available Upon Request for an Additional Fee)
- Large Comfortable Air-Conditioned Passenger Vans Throughout
- Liberia - Liberia (LIR) Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport
- July 18-28, 2024
- Arrive anytime before 4 PM on July 18th. Pre and post-night accommodation are available for an additional fee.
- A $400 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your spot. If the trip must be postponed or cancelled due to events beyond our control, you will be offered the choice between a full refund and applying your payment to a future trip.
- Travelers should be comfortable walking for long periods of time. There may be physical labour involved during our service project. Daily activities will include walking tours and easy hikes (not too extreme or steep, but could be hot).
- Not included in the trip fee. All travelers are required to purchase travel insurance for this trip. We recommend World Nomad Travel Insurance.
- Arrival and departure transfers from Liberia airport to hotel. Transportation from San Jose can be arranged for an additional fee.
- 7 nights in comfortable, well located hotels
- 3 nights homestay with local family
- 10 breakfast, 3 lunches, 4 dinners
- Fresh fruit occationally
- Daily beverages in the van (cooler with water, soda, beer and rum)
- Transportation from hotel to hotel and to included activities in private air-conditioned tourist microbus with professional driver
- 2 group airport transfer from Tamarindo to Liberia Airport
- Professional tour leader and host along with Kristen from Hopscotch the Globe!
- Community service, hiking, National Park entrance fees, waterfalls, hot springs, cooking class, farm tour, pottery class, palm wine tour, night market, eco safari boat tour, private catamaran sailing, beach hopping
- International airfare
- Travel & medical insurance (required)
- Tips for drivers and guides (at your discretion)
- Additional snacks and meals not mentioned (allow for $50-$100 for additional meals)
- Optional activities
- Pre and post accommodations
Meet your hosts
Hey friend and future travel buddy! I’m the adventure seeking, world travelling, tiny home-living gal behind the Hopscotch the Globe brand. If you’re going to travel with me, you must know that I enjoy random dance parties, Disney sing-a-longs, big hugs and star-gazing. You can often me be-friending as many dogs as possible in every country I visit. I can’t wait to create awesome memories with you in Costa Rica (one of my favourite countries in the world)!
Allie has been leading tours in Latin America since 2011. The first time she stepped foot in Costa Rica, she became head over heels, and she hadn’t even met her future husband Leo yet. There was no lack of variety of beaches, forests, and mountains, but what she really loved most was the people. Costa Ricans are known to be some of the happiest in the world. The carefree, relaxed attitude of the locals captured Allie, and she knew she wanted to settle down in this beautiful land someday. Fast forward to a couple of years later, Allie married a Costa Rican man named Leo, and together they started a tour leading company called Outstanding Costa Rica. Allie can’t wait to meet you and show you all the reasons why she’s fallen deeply for Costa Rica.
Leo is the other half Outstanding Costa Rica and Allie’s hubby. He grew up in Monteverde, Costa Rica when tourism was just slowly growing in the country. One of his first jobs was in a fancy hotel as a receptionist. He started to meet people from around the world every day. His second, third, and fourth jobs were all directly in the tourism and hospitality sector. He was a bartender, waiter, receptionist, manager, and finally a tour guide, which he’s loved the most. Leo’s jobs have taken him to all parts of Costa Rica, and he’s constantly amazed by the beauty of his own country. He’s the guy who will answer all your questions about his homeland. He’s excited to show you why Costa Rica is so special from a locals perspective.
Kristen and Siya are the most down to earth, compassionate, inspirational and fun people we know! We’ve gone on two HTG trips so far and would love to go on more in the future. My husband proposed to me during our second trip at the Pailon del diablo waterfall. We couldn’t be happier to have been surrounded by such wonderful people to share in our joy.
We’ve been on two of Kristen & Siya’s group trips and we’re scheduled to go on another one this year! These are hands down some of our favorite travel experiences. What better way to explore a country than with fun, like-minded people who continuously encourage you to follow your dreams? And what’s even better, you get to make a positive impact along the way.
Kristen and Siya have inspired me to go out of my comfort zone and travel more. When I heard they were going to travel with their subscribers for the first time, I knew I had to sign up! Little did I know my world was going to change – for the better. I made life-long friends, conquered fears, helped a community in Guatemala, and made incredible memories.
Our trip was a life changing experience. Kristen and Siya are amazing and genuine people full of positivity. I loved getting to know them. Also, HTG trips are focused on impact. Knowing u are making a difference in the world is priceless. Getting to do that next to such incredible people is a major plus.
Claim Your Spot!
We have limited spots available, don’t miss out on this life-changing opportunity!