I receive many emails from readers and viewers asking me to share some of my blogging tips and advice. So, I thought what better way to do that then by creating a YouTube series on “How to Create a Successful Blog.”
If you haven’t seen the first episode of the series, be sure to check it out.
In this video, I will be discussing the importance of niche blogging and how to choose a niche topic for your blog. I will also be giving you some exercising to try in order to help you find the write blog topic for you.
What is a niche blog or niche demographic?
A niche blog is when you write about one thing, and one thing only. It is a blog with a one-track mind, having one purpose, one goal.
A niche demographic is the definition of HopscotchtheGlobe.com. It’s a blog that targets a specific audience (in my case that would be travellers and travel enthusiasts) and then create content on a variety of topics that relates to that specific audience (food, beauty, style, DIYs, etc).
Before I started HopscotchThe Globe.com, I had another blog hosted by blogger.com. This blog was was all about….everything! Many bloggers start out by writing about everything and anything. Having a “hobby” blog is fun but if you are looking to blog as a business, this is not the best direction to go.
Why is choosing a niche important for building a successful blog?
1. It attracts a loyal audience. Readers know that each time they come back to your blog they can expect new information on the same topic they have an interest in.
2. It builds a community of like minded people who have the same passion.
3. You become a recognized expert in your topic making you the go-to person when it comes to your topic.
4. Being an expert in your niche will attract specific advertisers and sponsors who know you are an expert in your topic and therefore a create person to sell their product.
5. Google loves blogs with well-defined topics that have pages that relate to one another. This means that you will have stronger SEO.
How do you choose a niche topic?
1. Know your passion! Find a topic you are passionate about and something you are an expert in already. Ask yourself: What do you do in your spare time? What do you know a lot about? What topics get you really excited to discuss or share?
2. Don’t do something that already exists. If your choosing a popular topic, are you able to put a spin on it to make it unique? What type of information is missing in the area that interests you? What do people want to know about your topic of interest that hasn’t been covered?
3. Is your topic monetizable? Are there affiliate or ad programs that are looking for blogs in your niche? Check out other blogs in the niche you’re interested in to see if they have ads on their site.
Activities to try:
1. Type your topic of interest in google. See what your competition is. Are there a lot of blogs on that topics? How can you make it different?
2. Can you come up with a enough content on the topic you’re interested in? Come up with 10 post ideas for your topic of interest. Once you do that, write 10 more and then 10 more. If you are having trouble choosing even 10 topics to create content for, then maybe you should choose another topic to blog about. If you want to blog as a business, then you need to be consistent. If you can’t come up with 10 topics now, what makes you think that you can come up for consistent content in the long run?
Now tell me below, what are you most passionate about. What topics do you already know a lot about?
Kristen Sarah is a full-time traveller, tiny home owner and adventure junkie. She has one of the leading YouTube travel channels and is the head honcha of award-winning travel and lifestyle website, Hopscotch the Globe.