Top 5 Things to Do in Hocking Hills

After spending this past weekend exploring Hocking Hills in Ohio, I fell in love with the place. If you are someone who enjoys being in the outdoors, Hocking Hills has a lot to offer. Turn your cellphone off, breathe in the fresh air, and enjoy these five activities in Southeastern Ohio’s Scenic Wonderland!

Fly in a Private Plane

Scenic Air Tours in Hocking Hills

Appreciate Hocking Hills from a bird’s eye view on a private ride with Scenic Air Tours. Harry Sowers is a veteran pilot with 40 years’ flying experience and a few “jokes” up his sleeve. If you’re lucky, you may even get to fly the plane yourself!

Explore Old Man’s Cave

Pat Quakenbush

Old Man's Cave

There is so much natural beauty to discover in Hocking Hills, and Naturalist Pat Quakenbush is the perfect guy to lead the way. A favorite hiking destination, Old Man’s Cave is not hard to fall in love with. The rock shelter was once home to Richard Rowe, a 19th-century hermit who is said to be buried beneath a cave ledge on the premises. While hiking to the cave, Pat will share the history of the area and teach you a thing or two about the geological features. Enjoy the gorgeous scenery along the trail that includes several waterfalls, sandstone cliffs, rock formations and several hemlock trees. Not only will you appreciate the beauty of the forest and the knowledge of your guide but you’ll be happy to know that the admission to the park is completely…FREE!

Experience Shawnee Storytelling

Shawnee Storytelling

Learn about the Shawnee way of life through the stories told by an actual Shawnee. The Shawnee are an Algonquian-speaking people native to North America with a way of life that everyone of us can appreciate. Enjoy the native stories told on the actual land where the Shawnee’s once lived. Learn why the Shawnee people believe that all trees, animal, man and earth has a spirit and why it is important to protect and give to all of these living things.

Float Down the Hocking River

Kayaking with Hocking Hills Canoe Livery

What’s the best way to spend a morning or afternoon in Hocking Hills? Floating down the Hocking River in a kayak of course! Hocking Hills Canoe Livery is a great way to enjoy the scenic Hocking River and potentially spot some wildlife. This outdoor adventure is for those 3 years of age and up and is a great way to relax and unwind.

Go Ghost Hunting!

Ghost Hunting at Rock Hill

Do ghosts exist? Do you want to find out? The Haunted Hocking Tour at Rock House with Naturalist Pat Quakenbush is a great place to try and communicate with the dead. In 1835, Colonel F.F. Rempel of Logan, Ohio erected a 16-room hotel room where a woman was said to be murdered and who’s ghost has been seen many times even up until this very day. According to local folklore, past visits to this area include: robbers, horse thieves, murderers and even bootleggers. Utilizing the newest, and oldest, in paranormal equipment, see if you can spot one of the many ghosts that have been wandering around the property for years.

Have you been to Hocking Hills and experienced any of these five activities?

Share your experience below!

1. July 30, 2013 / 1:50 pm

Great Post, I really enjoyed to read about the ghost hunting the Shawnee storytellingand story.
    James @ Africa Travel recently posted..Cristine C.My Profile

• kristenj
      September 4, 2013 / 5:07 am

The Shawnee storytelling was very touching. It was amazing to learn about how important nature is in so many ways to the Indians. It also makes me sad to see how people don’t appreciate it or oversee the beauty of nature, plants and animals.

2. January 27, 2013 / 9:52 pm

I’m originally from Columbus, Ohio and grew up going to Hocking Hills. It is so cool that you did a post on the area! Keep up the good work.
    Adventurous Andrea recently posted..30 Day ChallengeMy Profile

• kristenj
      January 28, 2013 / 5:40 pm

That’s awesome! I had a great time in Hocking Hills. It really was a breathe of fresh air. So beautiful.

3. December 21, 2012 / 12:47 pm

There are too many things to do in Hocking Hills. We think that we’ll go next year, so we take in account your tips! Cheers!

• kristenj
      December 26, 2012 / 8:28 pm

Awesome! You will really enjoy it there.

4. December 13, 2012 / 2:37 am

The ghost hunting is always fun for me 🙂 Sounds like you had great time Hocking Hills.

• kristenj
      December 19, 2012 / 5:31 pm

I know me too! I never got to see a ghost though. I was hoping! Hocking Hills was great. Can’t wait to go back.

• kristenj
      December 19, 2012 / 5:31 pm

Me too! It was a really cool experience. I’ll be posting a video about it very shortly.

• kristenj
      November 15, 2012 / 9:46 pm

Thanks! I think kayaking was my favourite part of this trip. So relaxing and beautiful surroundings. I had so much fun with you too! Hopefully we can do it again very soon.

5. November 15, 2012 / 7:21 pm

All great activities and I will sneak in a 6th activity – ziplining. It’s scary lying on your stomach with your head pointed toward the ground many feet before – and that’s all before they release you onto the cable. Once you glide along the cable, the fear vanishes.
    Theresa recently posted..UV Skinz Offers The Ultimate in Sun ProtectionMy Profile

• kristenj
      November 15, 2012 / 9:47 pm

Zip-lining was fun! I would love to try the night zip-lining they had. Next time:)

• kristenj
      November 8, 2012 / 8:18 pm

It was so touching. I am in the process of editing 4 videos from the trip and the Shawnee Storytelling is one of them:)

• kristenj
      November 7, 2012 / 2:37 pm

The ghost hunting was freaky, but I was glad it made me scared because it was more fun that way. The kayaking was so peaceful and beautiful. It was probably my favourite activity of all. The plane ride was pretty cool but we did do some fast ups and downs that even made my tummy a little queazy but it was so awesome to fly the plane.

6. Wes
    November 6, 2012 / 8:22 pm

Sweet. Clouds, cliffs, indians, rivers, and ghosts…. what could be better! The only one I havn’t tried yet is the airplane, the rest are stellar stuff to do, and the hills are known for warm friendly folks. Rock on Kristin!

• kristenj
      November 7, 2012 / 2:39 pm

Hocking Hills is so great Wes! I can’t wait to go back. The people were all lovely. You should definitely give the plane ride a try. It’s a lot of fun to fly it yourself.